The Range: Undergraduate Research Journal's primary goal is to make more visible the rich and diverse scholarship conducted by University of Utah undergraduates.
Check out Volume 23, Issue 2 (Fall 2022) on Pressbooks
- Wider visibility of undergraduate research. The journal is archived with the University of Utah digital archive via Utah Education Network Pressbooks.
- Students who publish in the Range: Undergraduate Research Journal fulfill the publication requirements to be eligible to apply for the Undergraduate Research Designation.
- The Journal is freely available to the public online.
Any University of Utah undergraduate student may submit their research for publication. While the research reported in the submission does not need to have been conducted under the supervision of a faculty member, a faculty mentor must approve the student's submission. Any student wanting to receive the URSD must write and submit their own journal submission as a first or solo author.
- Submissions to the Undergraduate Research Journal must be carefully edited prior to submission. They will be published as-is or with minor formatting adjustments as necessary.
- We do not edit submissions. Students must submit on their own behalf.
- By submitting, you are consenting to publication in this open access publicly available journal.
- Submission must include a bibliography or references.
- All submissions must use the URJ Template and be saved as a PDF or a Docx. The PDF/Docx is uploaded into the submission form.
- Submissions with images, tables, and/or graphs: Students need to upload a separate Word document including all images, graphs and/or charts to be published with their submission in JPG format. Images need to be high-resolution and appear clearly and to the expected size in the Word document. This Word document is uploaded into the submission form.
- Required Header: centered in 12-point Times New Roman font:
TITLE OF PROJECT IN ALL CAPS
Student's Full Name (Faculty Mentor: Full Name), Additional Authors if applicable
Department of ...
- The remainder of the page(s) may be used to present the student's research or creative works as desired by the student and faculty mentor. The page(s) may include text and/or pictures---submissions may take the form of research abstracts, summaries, paper, artists' statements, and/or pictures of research or creative works. All text must be at least 12-pt Times New Roman font size and single spaced.
- For formatting help, please review previous years' publications.
- Only the first author uploads the submission. It is the responsibility of the first author to include all authors' names and emails during the submission process. Only first authors will be eligible to receive the Undergraduate Research Scholar Designation.
- All authors must agree on an author order. Authorship conventions differ by field; this should be decided in careful consultation with the faculty mentor.
- Each submission may have only one first author, and all other authors must be ordered.
- The first author is responsible for making sure that the submission is completed successfully and for forwarding the emailed confirmation message to all other authors.
- If the faculty mentor on the project is also a co-author, they must be listed twice: as a mentor and also as an author.
All submissions from University of Utah undergraduate students that are approved by a qualified faculty mentor are accepted for publication. Faculty mentors or designated mentors are expected to review their mentee's submission.
- Submissions received by June 1st, appear in the annual issue 1.
- Submissions received by December 1st, appear in the annual issue 2.
In December 2022, the Undergraduate Research Journal was renamed to Range: Undergraduate Research Journal.
View editions of the Undergraduate Research Journal Archived with the Utah Marriott Library
Range: Undergraduate Research Journal (2022 issue 2)
Undergraduate Research Journal (2022 issue 1)
Undergraduate Research Journal (2021)
Undergraduate Research Journal (2020)
Undergraduate Research Journal (2019)
Undergraduate Research Journal (2018)
Undergraduate Research Journal (2017)
Undergraduate Research Journal (2016)
Undergraduate Research Journal (2015)
Due to website migration, not all journal issues are available at this time. And we will make them available promptly once the problem has been resolved.