The Undergraduate Studies Office of Undergraduate Research faculty affiliates represent multiple colleges across campus and are excited to announce the launch of the OUR Faculty Affiliates beginning Fall 2022.
Faculty mentors 2021 – 2022 (UROP, SPUR and OURA awardee faculty mentors) will be legacied in as Faculty affiliates for the fall 2022 academic year.
To learn more about becoming a faculty affiliate, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or schedule a meeting with the Associate Dean of Undergraduate Studies, Dr. Annie Isabel Fukushima.
Become a Faculty Affiliate
Faculty who are considered OUR faculty affiliates:
- Serve as an UROP / SPUR mentor
- Are faculty running research summer programs in partnership with OUR as a Summer Program Partner
- Faculty who provide substantial service such as a reviewer of UROP applications, and/or the Monson Prize Winner
- Hold the status of University of Utah faculty.
Other forms of prospective eligibility
- Partner with OUR to hire undergraduate researchers through a grant, foundation, or external partnership, in agreement with OUR
- Substantial service in facilitating workshops with the OUR Undergraduate Research Education Series
Optional: activities of faculty affiliates:
- Serve as a symposium poster evaluator
- Other activities agreed upon with the Office of Undergraduate Research
In order to maintain an active and engaged community, the OUR Faculty Affiliates will be reviewed every semester. Affiliate faculty will be asked to demonstrate the following:
- Collaborations with undergraduate researchers; and
- Demonstration of continued engagement with OUR activities or mentoring undergraduate researchers
Faculty affiliates will be reviewed every 2 years.
There are many benefits to becoming a faculty affiliate of the Office of Undergraduate Research. Because faculty members are part of a larger multi- and interdisciplinary research community with a broad focus on a range of issues working with teams or partnerships with undergraduate researchers, the following are benefits to being a faculty affiliate
- Invitation to OUR events such as the Undergraduate Research Symposium, the OUR Awards Ceremony.
- Listed as a faculty affiliate on the OUR website during the year of affiliation to create greater visibility of the excellent mentors across campus.
- Invitation to attend a UROP / SPUR faculty orientation, to learn more about updates on opportunities and working with the Office of Undergraduate Research.
- A letter from the Director/Associate Dean of Undergraduate Studies acknowledging the faculty’s role as an OUR faculty affiliate / Graduate Student affiliate.
- OUR Faculty Affiliates do not receive a stipend in this affiliated role and are free to remove their name from the OUR website listing of faculty affiliates.
All Faculty Affiliates
- Attend OUR Program Partner quarterly meetings when available
- Maintain an effective faculty mentor record
- Attend Undergraduate Research Symposium (virtual events or in-person) or the Utah Conference of Undergraduate Research when available
- Promote OUR opportunities
- Commit to mentoring undergraduate researchers or supporting processes that lead to undergraduate researchers receiving opportunities (i.e., future funding, graduate school application, job placement, or other activities that indicate positive research experience tied to future goals).
- Demonstrate sustained engagement with the OUR activities and programs.
For UROP and SPUR Faculty Mentors
- Attend UROP / SPUR meetings as outlined by the specific programs
- Adhere to faculty expectations of the said program.
Contact the Associate Dean of Undergraduate Studies and Director of the Office of Undergraduate Research: Dr. Annie Isabel Fukushima.
Faculty who served as SPUR and UROP mentors 2021 - 2022, were legacied in as OUR faculty affiliates.
College of Architecture & Planning
David Eccles School of Business
School for Cultural & Social Transformation
Annie Isabel Fukushima
School of Dentistry
College of Education
College of Engineering
Yong Lin Kong
Benjamin Sanchez Terrones
College of Fine Arts
College of Health
Anandh Babu Pon Velayutham
John David Symons
College of Humanities
College of Medicine
College of Mines & Earth Sciences
College of Nursing
College of Pharmacy
College of Science
College of Social & Behavioral Science
Jennifer Follstad Shah
College of Social Work