Welcome to the IRB Lab!
The IRB Lab is a partnership with the University of Utah Institutional Review Board. The IRB Lab is a monthly open work session space for students to receive peer-mentoring and staff support when applying for Institutional Review Board approval.
Wednesday 1/11, 9AM - 12PM
Wednesday 2/8, 9AM - 12PM
Wednesday 3/22, 9AM - 12PM
Wednesday 4/12, 9AM - 12PM
- Any undergraduate researcher at the University of Utah applying for approval from the University of Utah IRB.
- Applicants at all stages of the process.
- Undergraduate researchers conducting research on or with human subjects.
OUR IRB Lab specialist and an IRB staff will be available to answer your questions about your application for IRB approval. We can assist you with the questions about:
- Getting started with you IRB application.
- Practical advice and tips about navigating the IRB process.
- Ways to include your faculty mentor/sponsor with the IRB review process
- Conceptualizing different parts of the IRB application.
- Receive support on finding answers with regards to IRB.
- Best practices for completing specific questions/sections of the IRB application.
- How to outline and draft an informed consent document that meets federal and institutional requirements.
We hope the IRB Lab will be a positive and informative experience for students conducting human subject research. Our staff will be on hand to support you and help you succeed as you navigate the IRB review process.
- If you are just getting started, just bring your research proposal/protocol. We will help you figure out what your next steps are.
- We recommend you bring a laptop or tablet that can access the internet so we can view your application in the IRB’s online application system, “ERICA” for attendees joining in-person.
- Bring any application materials you would like to go over (e.g. your draft application, consent documents, recruitment materials, protocol summary, etc.).
- If you have specific questions, write them down so we can go over them one at a time.
- Visit the University of Utah IRB website for more details.
- OUR offers research advising for one-on-one support on research across the stages
- For support with writing and proofreading, students are encouraged to schedule an appointment with the Writing Center.
- Dates and time:
- Wednesday 1/11, 9AM - 12PM
- Wednesday 2/8, 9AM - 12PM
- Wednesday 3/22, 9AM - 12PM
- Wednesday 4/12, 9AM - 12PM
- In-person (join and enjoy snacks!): Gardner Commons 3393 in NEXUS
- Zoom drop-in: Register Here
- Appointments not necessary.