The Undergraduate Research Scholar Designation (URSD) recognizes a student’s commitment to their development as a researcher during their undergraduate career. The URSD appears in the awards section of the transcripts of graduating students. URSD awardees receive a white research cord from the Office of Undergraduate Research to wear at convocation and commencement.
SUMMER 2018 GRADUATES deadline: August 1, 2018
FALL 2018 GRADUATES deadline: December 6, 2018
(see below for SPRING 2018 GRADUATES deadlines)
- Two semesters of research – Two semesters of research with a faculty research mentor (if not done through UROP or SPUR, the student’s faculty mentor signs a verification form certifying that two semesters of research were completed).
- Presentation – Present your research at the Undergraduate Research Symposium, the Utah Conference on Undergraduate Research, or the National Conference on Undergraduate Research; OR at a national/international professional conference in the discipline (must be pre-approved by the Office of Undergraduate Research). The presentation requirement promotes one of two kinds of experiences for the student. The national/international professional conference option encourages deep field-specific conversations and professional development/networking with scholars from across the discipline. The URS/UCUR/NCUR option encourages an open exchange and dissemination of ideas between fields in addition to communication to a broad public audience. Both experiences are important to undergraduate student researchers, and either can count for the purposes of the URSD.
- Publication – Publish your research in the University of Utah Undergraduate Research Journal, other campus research publication, or other professional journal. The publication requirement ensures that students engage in the valuable reflective process of creating an enduring record of their undergraduate research experience.
**PLEASE READ: Students must have completed all requirements associated with their involvement in other Office of Undergraduate Research programs in order to be eligible for the URSD. This includes the submission of final reports for UROP, Small Grants, and Travel Grants, in addition to any other program requirements.
Apply for the URSD
Apply during the semester in which you will graduate by completing the online URSD APPLICATION FORM. You will be asked to provide the following verifications:
- Two semesters of research – Indicate the semesters and years of UROP or SPUR, or upload an electronic copy of the verification form signed by your faculty mentor.
- Presentation – Indicate the conference and year. For conferences other than URS, UCUR, or NCUR, upload an electronic copy of the page from the conference program showing your presentation, along with the cover of the conference program.
- Publication – Indicate the publication venue. For publication venues other than the University of Utah Undergraduate Research Journal, upload an electronic copy of the first page of the publication along with the cover of the journal AND provide a full bibliographic entry for the publication(s).
The Office of Undergraduate Research will review the application and submitted materials and forward the names of qualifying students to the Registrar’s office. It may take up to 60 days for the designation to appear on the transcript. URSD awardees receive a white research cord from the Office of Undergraduate Research to wear at convocation and commencement.