The Undergraduate Research Journal‘s primary mission is to make more visible the rich and diverse scholarship conducted by University of Utah undergraduates. All undergraduate students at the University of Utah are strongly encouraged to submit their research for publication in the Journal.
The Journal is freely available to the public online. It is not indexed, and we do not use DOIs.
Journal submissions are accepted year-round for online publication each summer. All submissions from University of Utah undergraduate students that are approved by a qualified faculty mentor are accepted for publication.
Who can submit
Any University of Utah undergraduate student may submit their research for publication, and students are encouraged to submit multiple times as appropriate. While the research reported in the submission does not need to have been conducted under the supervision of a faculty member, a faculty mentor must approve the student’s submission.
- All submissions must use the URJ Template and be saved as a PDF. The PDF is uploaded into the submission form.
- Required Header: centered in 12-point Times New Roman font:
TITLE OF PROJECT IN ALL CAPS
Student’s Full Name (Faculty Mentor’s Full Name, Additional Authors if applicable)
Department of …
- The remainder of the page(s) may be used to present the student’s research or creative works as desired by the student and faculty mentor. The page(s) may include text and/or pictures—submissions may take the form of research abstracts, summaries, paper, artists’ statements, and/or pictures of research or creative works. All text must be at least 12-pt Times New Roman font size and single spaced.
- For formatting help, please see the links at bottom of page to review previous years’ publications.
- Submissions to the Undergraduate Research Journal must be carefully edited prior to submission. They will be published as-is or with minor formatting adjustments as necessary. We do not edit submissions.
- Students must submit on their own behalf.
- Only the first author uploads the submission. It is the responsibility of the first author to include all authors’ names and emails during the submission process.
- All authors must agree on an author order. Authorship conventions differ by field; this should be decided in careful consultation with the faculty mentor.
- Each submission may have only one first author, and all other authors must be ordered.
- The first author is responsible for making sure that the submission is completed successfully and for forwarding the emailed confirmation message to all other authors.
View the 2018 edition of the Undergraduate Research Journal
View the 2017 edition of the Undergraduate Research Journal
View the 2016 edition of the Undergraduate Research Journal
View the 2015 edition of the Undergraduate Research Journal
View earlier editions of the Undergraduate Research Journal