The Undergraduate Research Symposium provides an opportunity for students to present their work in a scholarly setting to students, faculty and other members of the University of Utah community. Undergraduate students from all disciplines are invited to present their research and creative work.
Tuesday, April 9, 2019
Olpin Union Building
URS Presentation Guidelines
All presentations should be aimed at a general audience — the URS is an opportunity for students to communicate their research to an audience from a broad range of backgrounds. Students may present their research in the Oral, Poster, or Performance Sessions.
- Oral presentations will be held in rooms throughout the Union.
- Oral presentations start every 20 minutes (15 minutes long, 3 minutes for questions, 2 minutes to transition to the next presenter).
- Visual aids should be used if at all possible. A projector and screen/TV will be available — presenters are responsible for bringing a laptop and any necessary adapters.
- Students are strongly advised to ensure proper connection to the projector before the oral session begins.
- Out of professional courtesy, all presenters and audience are expected to stay for the entire session.
- Presentation schedules will be strictly enforced.
- Poster sessions are held in the Union main ballroom.
- Posters can be up to 48 inches wide x 36 inches high (no tri-fold or foam poster boards allowed). Poster larger than 48 inches wide will be too big for the display boards.
- Poster templates provided by the Office of Undergraduate Research available at: View Templates in Powerpoint. Additional poster templates and instructions can be found on the Marriott Library’s Webpage.
- An overview of poster design and presentation can be found here: Creating Effective Poster Presentations.
- Posters will be attached to fabric display boards with pushpins (provided).
- Presenters must be at their poster and available to discuss it for the entire session.
- To pay for poster printing, please first check with your faculty mentor and department for funding options. If you cannot afford to pay for the poster yourself, the Office of Undergraduate Research can offer support to those students needing financial aid. Click here for a link to a poster financial aid application.
- Performances may be up to 18 minutes long.
- Upon request at the time of registration for the URS, the Office of Undergraduate Research will work with performers to arrange for appropriate spaces for music, dance, and theatre performances.
- Performers must provide their own equipment (e.g., instruments, speakers, props, etc.).
- Visual art presentations or exhibits may choose to present in the oral or poster sessions (see above for details).
- Upon request at the time of registration for the URS, the Office of Undergraduate Research will work with visual artists to arrange for appropriate spaces for exhibition of students’ work.
Please contact Cindy Greaves at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
DEADLINE TO REGISTER: March 24, 2019.
URS 2018 Program
URS 2016 Program