out of concern for the health of our community, all advising appointments will take place virtually or by phone through Fall 2020 – Please have a computer with internet access close by for this appointment. for more information, visit our covid-19 operational updates page.
What to Expect and How to Prepare
The Office of Undergraduate Research’s Advisors and Undergraduate Research Leaders are here to help you through almost any research related issue.
- General Information appointments: you will learn about the many programs our office has to offer and how to get started with those, if you are interested. You will also learn about several ways to find projects and mentors that you are interested in working with on campus. You will leave prepared to take the first steps to getting involved in research.
- To prepare for this appointment, think about what you might be interested in researching here on campus. You do not need to have a comprehensive list, just an idea of where we can start looking for research that will be interesting to you and that will facilitate whatever your personal goals are.
- UROP Proposal Review appointments: you will either discuss your proposal for an upcoming deadline and get the Advisor’s feedback on formatting and details to help you improve your proposal, or you will discuss the reviewer’s feedback from the previous round of reviews.
- Appointment to discuss the reviewer’s feedback from a previous round of reviews: Please use the below button to schedule this type of appointment. You do not need to do anything to prepare for this type of appointment.
- Appointment to discuss your draft proposal for an upcoming deadline: Please fill out the UROP Proposal Review request form below and follow the link at the bottom to schedule an appointment. Please note: your faculty mentor must review your draft proposal at least once before you submit it to the OUR for review. The deadline to submit a Summer 2021 draft proposal for review by the OUR is 11:59 PM on Thursday, March 4.
- You can also make an appointment to discuss any stage of your project once you are in our programs – project changes, posters and presentations, program requirements, etc.
- In any appointment, you can expect the Advisor to be attentive, respectful, and informative.
Undergraduate Research Advising Learning Outcomes
At the end of an advising appointment, students will be able to:
- Identify the process, requirements, and deadlines for engaging in research and OUR programs, and how to find this information on the website.
- Identify and access other relevant University resources.
- Identify a set of individualized next steps for their involvement in OUR programs.
- Articulate the value of a research/capstone experience for their future academic, personal, and career goals.
The OUR’s FAQs