Welcome to the Office of Undergraduate Research! We are here to facilitate and support undergraduate student–faculty mentor collaborative research and creative works throughout the University of Utah.
- Make an Advising Appointment: Meet with our Undergraduate Research Advisor at any point in your research career. Need help coming up with an idea for a project? Identifying potential faculty mentors or reaching out to those mentors? Writing your UROP proposal? Preparing for a presentation on your research? Make an appointment to discuss any step of your research process.
- Watch the General Information Advising Video. This is what we will cover in a general information advising meeting. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Join our Student Listserv: Stay up-to-date with undergraduate research events, programs, and deadlines.
- Attend Undergraduate Research Education Events: Come to our free and open seminars and workshops to learn more about research! Designed specifically for undergraduate researchers; open to anyone on campus.
- Search Undergraduate Research Opportunities: Explore our list of research opportunities specifically for undergraduates here at the U!
- How to search: There is one search box—enter any word that you think will be related to opportunities in which you are interested. Search for every synonym you can think of for that word to be sure that you get a comprehensive list. And click around a bit; explore areas you might not think you are interested in. The projects you are interested in might be in a department you aren’t expecting.
- How to contact a professor who has provided an opportunity in which you are interested: Write a professional and appropriate email. In that email be CONCISE, courteous, honest, and as specific as possible about what you are asking of them. Check out their faculty research page and know something about their work before you contact them. Make a specific request of the faculty member—for example, ask to meet them in person for a lab tour or a conversation about the opportunity they have posted. And email us or make an appointment with the Undergraduate Research Advisor for further advice on connecting with a faculty mentor!
- Apply for Research Funding through OUR: UROP, Travel & Small Grants
- Check out our FAQs page for more information
Additional U of U Research and Funding Opportunities
- University of Utah research for credit courses
- University of Utah Summer Program for Undergraduate Research
- University of Utah College of Science ACCESS program
- School of Medicine Outreach
- On-campus summer research opportunities
External Research and Funding Opportunities
- Association of American Medical Colleges opportunities list
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REUs)
- McNair Scholars Program
- The Leadership Alliance Summer Research Program
- Pathways to Science opportunities list
- Journal of Young Investigators opportunities list
- Amgen Scholars Program