Step 1. OUR Advising
- Make an appointment with Sandra Luo or a peer-mentor.
- Meet with our Undergraduate Research Advisor at any point in your undergraduate research career.
- Need help coming up with an idea for a project, identifying potential faculty mentors, communicating with mentors, advice about applying for an opportunity, or preparing for a presentation on your research? Meet an OUR advisor or peer-mentor.
OUR Advising Overview
Step 2. Find Opportunities
Apply for Research Funding with The Office of Undergraduate Research
- Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) Every Semester.
- Summer Program for Undergraduate Research (SPUR)
- Travel & Small Grants Monthly
Search for opportunities
- Search Undergraduate Research Opportunities: Explore our list of research opportunities specifically for undergraduates here at the U!
Connect with a University of Utah Professor
- Find a researcher
- Make an appointment with the Undergraduate Research Advisor for further advice on connecting with a faculty mentor!
Additional U of U Research and Funding Opportunities
- College of Fine Arts: Travel Grants
- College of Science: Internships and Opportunities database
- College of Science: Science Research Initiative (SRI) focuses on first year, sophomores, and transfer students who want to get involved with discovery-based scientific research.
- College of Social and Behavioral Science: Research Opportunities
- Department of Mathematics: Research Opportunities are open to all; you do not have to be a Math major/minor to participate!
- Learning Abroad Research Programs that are specifically research focused. The stars indicate that the program is U of U faculty-led and eligible for UROP funding, which you'll need to apply for separately.
- On-campus summer research opportunities
- School of Medicine Outreach
- School of Medicine - Pediatrics: Research Programs
- University of Utah research for credit courses
- University of Utah Summer Program for Undergraduate Research
- University of Utah College of Science ACCESS program
- Learn how to find and apply for summer research opportunities
External Research and Funding Opportunities
- Amgen Scholars Program
- Association of American Medical Colleges opportunities list
- Journal of Young Investigators opportunities list
- The Leadership Alliance Summer Research Program
- McNair Scholars Program
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REUs)
- Search through the NSF database for REU programs to apply to! The University of Utah has several REU opportunities, but many other institutions also make their programs available to all students.
- Pathways to Science opportunities list
Digital Resources and How-to Guides
- Five Top Strategies for Becoming a More Effective Researcher
- Mentoring Up: Learning to Manage Your Mentoring Relationships
- Mentoring up: Twelve tips for successfully employing a mentee-driven approach to mentoring relationships
- Grant Writing Workshops
- LabArchives resources from Marriott Library
- Marriott Library Undergraduate Resources for Research
- General Information about Research Posters
- Conducting field research with your mentor? Follow the U’s Risk and Insurance Services Field Trip Guidelines (requires U login to access).
- Tips for doing remote research