Welcome to the Office of Undergraduate Research! We are here to facilitate and support undergraduate student–faculty mentor collaborative research and creative works throughout the University of Utah.
- Make an Advising Appointment: Meet with our Undergraduate Research Advisor at any point in your research career. Need help coming up with an idea for a project? Identifying potential faculty mentors or reaching out to those mentors? Writing your UROP proposal? Preparing for a presentation on your research? Make an appointment to discuss any step of your research process.
- Watch the General Information Advising Video. This is what we will cover in a general information advising meeting. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
- Join our Student Listserv: Stay up-to-date with undergraduate research events, programs, and deadlines.
- Attend Undergraduate Research Education Events: Come to our free and open seminars and workshops to learn more about research! Designed specifically for undergraduate researchers; open to anyone on campus.
- Search Undergraduate Research Opportunities: Explore our list of research opportunities specifically for undergraduates here at the U!
- How to search: There is one search box—enter any word that you think will be related to opportunities in which you are interested. Search for every synonym you can think of for that word to be sure that you get a comprehensive list. And click around a bit; explore areas you might not think you are interested in. The projects you are interested in might be in a department you aren’t expecting.
- How to contact a professor who has provided an opportunity in which you are interested: Write a professional and appropriate email. In that email be CONCISE, courteous, honest, and as specific as possible about what you are asking of them. Check out their faculty research page and know something about their work before you contact them. Make a specific request of the faculty member—for example, ask to meet them in person for a lab tour or a conversation about the opportunity they have posted. And email us or make an appointment with the Undergraduate Research Advisor for further advice on connecting with a faculty mentor!
- Search Additional Undergraduate Opportunities: This list is separate from the undergraduate research position openings that faculty send to us. These can be research/mentorship/internship programs at the U and other institutions. There are also other research-related opportunities such as calls for journal submissions.
- Apply for Research Funding through OUR: UROP, Travel & Small Grants, SPUR
- Check out our FAQs page for more information
Additional U of U Research and Funding Opportunities
- College of Fine Arts: Travel Grants
- College of Science: Internships and Opportunities database
- College of Science: Science Research Initiative (SRI) focuses on first year, sophomores, and transfer students who want to get involved with discovery-based scientific research.
- College of Social and Behavioral Science: Research Opportunities
- Department of Mathematics: Research Opportunities are open to all; you do not have to be a Math major/minor to participate!
- Learning Abroad Research Programs that are specifically research focused. The stars indicate that the program is U of U faculty-led and eligible for UROP funding, which you’ll need to apply for separately.
- On-campus summer research opportunities
- School of Medicine Outreach
- School of Medicine – Pediatrics: Research Programs
- University of Utah research for credit courses
- University of Utah Summer Program for Undergraduate Research
- University of Utah College of Science ACCESS program
- Learn how to find and apply for summer research opportunities
External Research and Funding Opportunities
- Amgen Scholars Program
- Association of American Medical Colleges opportunities list
- Journal of Young Investigators opportunities list
- The Leadership Alliance Summer Research Program
- McNair Scholars Program
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REUs)
- Search through the NSF database for REU programs to apply to! The University of Utah has several REU opportunities, but many other institutions also make their programs available to all students.
- Pathways to Science opportunities list
Digital Resources and How-to Guides
- Five Top Strategies for Becoming a More Effective Researcher
- Mentoring Up: Learning to Manage Your Mentoring Relationships
- Mentoring up: Twelve tips for successfully employing a mentee-driven approach to mentoring relationships
- Grant Writing Workshops
- LabArchives resources from Marriott Library
- Marriott Library Undergraduate Resources for Research
- General Information about Research Posters