Welcome to the Office of Undergraduate Research! We are here to facilitate and support undergraduate student–faculty mentor collaborative research and creative works throughout the University of Utah.
- Make an Advising Appointment – Meet with our Undergraduate Research Advisor at any point in your research career. Need help coming up with an idea for a project? Identifying potential faculty mentors or reaching out to those mentors? Writing your UROP proposal? Preparing for a presentation on your research? Make an appointment to discuss any step of your research process. Walk-ins welcome.
- Join our Student Listserv – Stay up-to-date with undergraduate research events, programs, and deadlines.
- Attend Undergraduate Research Education Events – Come to our free and open seminars and workshops to learn more about research! Designed specifically for undergraduate researchers; open to anyone on campus.
- Search Undergraduate Research Opportunities – Explore our list of research opportunities specifically for undergraduates here at the U!
- How to search: There is one search box—enter any word that you think will be related to opportunities in which you are interested. Search for every synonym you can think of for that word to be sure that you get a comprehensive list. And click around a bit; explore areas you might not think you are interested in. The projects you are interested in might be in a department you aren’t expecting.
- How to contact a professor who has provided an opportunity in which you are interested: Write a professional and appropriate email. In that email be CONCISE, courteous, honest, and as specific as possible about what you are asking of them. Check out their faculty research page and know something about their work before you contact them. Make a specific request of the faculty member—for example, ask to meet them in person for a lab tour or a conversation about the opportunity they have posted. And email us or make an appointment with the Undergraduate Research Advisor for further advice on connecting with a faculty mentor!
- Apply for Research Funding through OUR- UROP, Travel & Small Grants
- Check out our FAQs page for more information.
New to the U?
- Transfer Students – Visit us right away to get started!
- Freshmen – Apply to live in the Undergraduate Research Floor at Sage Point! A fun way to start your undergraduate experience off right! The Living and Learning Community for OUR provides students with the opportunity to begin engaging with research as soon as you move in.
Asia Campus Students
- Email our Undergraduate Research Advisor with questions and/or to make an appointment for a remote meeting to learn about undergraduate research on the Asia Campus
- Join our Student Listserv – stay up-to-date with undergraduate research events, programs, and deadlines
- Asia Campus students may apply for Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) funding.
- Asia Campus UROP faculty mentors must be University of Utah faculty with a PhD in the field of research.
- Asia Campus students must meet all requirements associated with UROP participation, but may “attend” the required Undergraduate Research Education events remotely. Please contact the OUR for further information.
- Please see the UROP page for information about deadlines and how to apply.
- At this time, Asia Campus students are not eligible to apply for Small Grants or Travel Grants. Please check back for further information as we adapt these other funding programs for Asia Campus students.
Additional U of U Research and Funding Opportunities
- University of Utah research for credit courses
- University of Utah bioscience undergraduate research programs
- University of Utah College of Science ACCESS program
- School of Medicine Outreach
- Native American Summer Research Internship
External Research and Funding Opportunities
- Off-campus undergraduate research opportunities
- McNair Scholars Program
- National Science Foundation (NSF)