Undergraduate Researcher & Mentor Panel
The Office of Undergraduate Research recently invited five undergraduate student researcher and faculty mentor pairs to the Undergraduate Researcher & Mentor Panel at the annual Office of Undergraduate Studies Retreat on Friday, September 22, 2017. The focus of the 2017 Retreat was the value of a transformative undergraduate experience at a Research 1 university.
Undergraduate student researcher and faculty mentor pairs Allyson Berri and Caren Frost (Mentoring Refugee Youth: Creating a Learning Program for University Student Mentors), Teddy Anderson and Ben Bromley (Examining the Outer Solar System Through Analysis of Telescope Data), Glory Stanton and William Smith (‘Black Men Matter!’: Understanding the Biopsychosocial Effects of Black Men Living in White Communities), Jude Ruelas and Jared Rawlings (Transvocality and Transgender Identity Formation in the Context of Choral Education), and James Zhao and Lisa Joss-Moore (Postnatal Growth Restriction Causes Sex-Divergent Changes in Elastin Variant Expression in Rat Lung) gave great presentations on their work and their mentoring relationships. All student panelists are current or former UROP scholars.
Thanks to all panelists for their hard work and enthusiasm to share their projects!
The Office of Undergraduate Research is excited to announce the 2017 Outstanding Undergraduate Research Awardees!:
- Sara Ference (Prof. Elpitha Tsoutsounakis); Architecture + Planning
- Heidi Qin (Prof. Dolores Delgado Bernal); Cultural and Social Transformation
- Carol Castaneda (Prof. Mary Burbank); Education
- Benjamin Gilmore (Prof. Taylor Sparks); Engineering
- Ali Mitchell (Prof. Monty Paret); Fine Arts
- Shantae George (Prof. Heather Hayes); Health
- Samantha Duzy (Prof. Michael Gills); Honors
- Eve Olson (Prof. Rachel Hayes-Harb); Humanities
- Caroline Wang (Prof. Catherine Loc-Carillo); Medicine
- Nicholas Thiros (Prof. Diego Fernandez); Mines & Earth Sciences
- Kyle McDougle (Prof. Lauren Clark); Nursing
- Annwin Chen (Prof. Amy Barrios; Pharmacy)
- Kai Sin (Prof. Aikio Kamimura); Social & Behavioral Sciences
- Amanda Bischoff (Prof. Matthew Sigman); Science
- Rose Gomez (Prof. Jason Castillo); Social Work
These incredible undergraduate research students were nominated by their faculty mentors in conjunction with their colleges and schools for their commitment to developing research skills, their active participation in research-related activities on campus, and their positive contributions to their department, college, and University as a whole. Congratulations to these student researchers!
For more information about the Outstanding Undergraduate Research Award, past winners, and nominating future awardees, please visit our.utah.edu/for-students/outstanding-undergraduate-researcher-award.
Come to the panel discussion about the Office of Undergraduate Research, Hinckley Institute, and Learning Abroad research programs. Learn how and why you should get involved!
Wednesday, January 18th from 12 – 1:30 pm in Union 319