The purpose of SPUR is to provide undergraduate students with an intensive 10-week research experience under the mentorship of a University of Utah faculty member. The program provides opportunities to gain research experience in a variety disciplines.
SPUR 2019 will begin on May 22, 2019 and end on August 1, 2019.
SPUR emphasizes a collaborative research experience under the supervision of a University of Utah faculty member. At the time of application, students will indicate to which available projects they are applying. Final student placement will be determined by the Selection Committee. Details regarding expectations and/or requirements of the research are negotiated between the student and the faculty mentor, following program guidelines.
The program also emphasizes a cohort experience via welcome and closing receptions, peer advising, weekly education events, bi-weekly program meetings, and optional on-campus housing.
SPUR 2019 Student Eligibility
Admission to the program is competitive. Applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
- be a matriculated, degree-seeking undergraduate student in the Fall 2019 semester (beginning or continuing college career in Fall 2019 and not graduating before December 2019; concurrent enrollment while in high school does not meet this eligibility requirement). Applicants do not need to be a University of Utah student.
- eligible to work in the United States (If you are a University of Utah Dreamer (with or without DACA), you are eligible to participate. If you are a Dreamer from a different institution (with or without DACA), you may be eligible to participate. For more information, please contact Megan Shannahan, SPUR Coordinator, at email@example.com or 801-581-2478.)
- able to commit to approximately 35-40 hours per week of employment at the University of Utah for the entire duration of the program (May 22-August 1, 2019)
- at least 18 years old by May 21, 2019 (required if you wish to use on-campus housing; preferred if you will not be using on-campus housing)
Please note that no previous college coursework or previous research experience is required.
Students participating in SPUR will receive a stipend of $4,000 (less applicable taxes) over the course of the program. Participants will be hired as short-term, temporary employees. This will allow them to receive University of Utah ID cards, providing for the ability to check out books from University Libraries, use computers on campus, receive discounts, utilize public transit for free, etc.
Travel & Housing
Student participants relocating to Salt Lake City for the duration of the program may be eligible to receive a travel reimbursement up to $500 total for roundtrip travel-related expenses to/from Salt Lake City.
All participants have the option of using on-campus housing (participants pay $250; the rest of the on-campus housing expense is covered by the program). Students may check-in beginning at 2:00 PM May 21 and must check out of on-campus housing by 10:00 AM Friday, August 2, 2019.
- Time Commitment: This is a full-time program. Student participants are expected to spend 35-40 hours per week on research and program-related activities for the entire duration of the program (May 22-August 1, 2019).
- Bi-weekly Update Meetings: Student participants are expected to present bi-weekly updates on their work.
- Journal Submission: Student participants are required to submit a one-page summary of their experience to the University of Utah Undergraduate Research Journal upon completion of the program.
- Undergraduate Research Education Series: Student participants are required to attend weekly research and professional development events.
- Final Presentation: Student participants are required to present their work (poster format) at the Office of Undergraduate Research Summer Symposium held on Thursday, August 1, 2019.
- UROP Proposal (optional): If eligible, University of Utah student participants are encouraged to prepare UROP proposals to allow them to continue their research in the Fall (or other future) semester. Support for UROP proposal preparation will be provided.
Ready to Apply?
Students: The 2019 student application is now available! Visit the student application webpage for more information and to apply.
Faculty: The 2019 faculty application is now closed. Visit the faculty application webpage for more information.