The greatest accomplishments of the Office of Undergraduate Research lie in the successes of our students and alumni. Our students work on cutting-edge research and make real and important discoveries that further knowledge in their fields. Their work is presented in venues across the globe via oral presentations, posters, and performances. Here we recognize students who have won special awards, received media attention, and disseminated their work in professional settings.
Office of Undergraduate Research Award Programs
University of Utah Undergraduate Student Researchers in the News
- 2016 – Mohan Sudabattula – Promote Health. Reduce Waste.
- 2015 – Hannah Hendrickson – U Students Develop Electronic Device to Help Homeless Patients Remember Medical Appointments
- 2015 – Ben Fasoli & Luke Leclair-Marzolf (Profs. Logan Mitchell, Erik Crosman, John Horel & John Lin) – Students using TRAX for more than commuting
- 2015 – Jason Chen – Meet the Graduates: Jason Chen
- 2015 – Tara Streng – Honors student’s thesis wins honorable mention
- 2015 – Erin Olschewski – Honors student provides food for thought on sustainable agriculture and making the most of college
- 2015 – Sam Katz – U student creates documentary to highlight life of the father of digital audio recording
- 2015 – Undergraduates study wildlife in Red Butte Canyon with camera traps
- 2015 – U students to complete first undergraduate novel writing course of its kind in the nation
Scholarly Presentations & Publications with Undergraduate Student Authors
- Shannon Weaver (Prof. Akiko Kamimura) – Weaver S, Ashby J, Kamimura A. 2017. Self-reported diagnosis of type 1 and type 2 diabetes among uninsured primary care patients. Health Services Research & Managerial Epidemiology. DOI: 10.1177/2333392816689528.
- Sarah Patterson (Prof. Danielle Endres) – Patterson, S. 2017. Ute Nickname Research Project: The Rhetoric Surrounding the University of Utah’s Nickname on Social Media and its Influence on Representation of the Northern Ute Nation. Western States Communication Association Undergraduate Scholars Research Conference, Salt Lake City, UT, February.
- Tara Streng (Prof. Akiko Kamimura) – Streng TK, Kamimura A. 2016. Perceptions of university policies to prevent sexual assault among college students in the United States. Sexuality Research and Social Policy. DOI: 10.1007/s13178-016-0245-x.
- Tamara Stephens (Prof. Akiko Kamimura) – Stephens T, Kamimura A, Yamawaki N, Bhattacharya H, Mo W, Birkholz R, Makomenaw A, Olson LM. 2016. Rape myth acceptance among college students in the United States, Japan and India. Sage Open. DOI: 10.1177/2158244016675015.
- John Ludlum (Prof. Jerry Root) – Ludlum J. 2016. The Legend of Theophilus and the Rothko Chapel: the Animation of Religious Images in the Pursuit of God. Second Annual Student Research Symposium on the History of the Book, Utah State University, Logan, Utah.
- Emma Martin (Prof. Jerry Root) – Martin E. 2016. Medieval Perspectives in Religious and Secular Contexts: the Legend of Theophilus and the Romance of the Rose. Second Annual Student Research Symposium on the History of the Book, Utah State University, Logan, Utah.
- Carter Pruetz (Prof. Jerry Root) – Pruetz C. 2016. Material Objects as Divine Intermediaries. Second Annual Student Research Symposium on the History of the Book, Utah State University, Logan, Utah.
- Phuong Vy Doan (Prof. Shelley Minteer) – Hickey DP, Schielder DA, Matanovic I, Atanassov P, Minteer SD, Sigman MS. 2015. Predicting Electrocatalytic Properties: Modeling Structure-Activity Relationships of Nitroxyl Radicals. Journal of the American Chemical Society 16179-16186.
- Jamison Gordon (Prof. Bradley Katz) – Hoggan R, Blair S, Digre KB, Baggaley SK, Gordon J, Brennan KC, Warner J, Crum A, Katz BJ. 2016. Thin film optical notch filter spectacle coatings for the treatment of migraine and photophobia. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience. 28:71-76.
- Tara Streng (Prof. Akiko Kamimura) – Streng TK, Kamimura A. 2015. Sexual assault prevention and reporting on college campuses in the US: A review of policies and recommendations. Journal of Education and Practice 6, 65-71.
- Molly Pace (Prof. Akiko Kamimura) – Pace M, Al-Obaydi S, Nourian MM, Kamimura A. 2015. Health services for refugees in the United States: Policies and recommendations. Public Policy and Administration Research 5, 63-68.
- Nicholas Warren (Prof. Akiko Kamimura) – Warren N, Kamimura A, Trinh H, Stephens E, Omi K, Kanaoka A, Ishikawa A, Yamanaka K. 2015. Perceptions of aging and disability among college students in Japan. Journal of Education and Practice 6, 52-60.
- Margaret Carlson (Prof. Akiko Kamimura) – Carlson M, Kamimura A, Nguyen H, Yamawaki N, Bhattacharya H, Trinh HN, Mo W, Birkholz R, Makomenaw A, Olson LM. 2015. Perceptions of violence against women among college students in the United States, Japan, India, Vietnam and China. Public Policy and Administration Research 5, 82-92.
- Jasmine Bishop (Prof. Shanti Deemyad) – Schaeffer, A. M., Temple, S. R., Bishop, J. K. & Deemyad, S. 2015. High-pressure superconducting phase diagram of 6Li: Isotope effects in dense lithium. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 112, 60-64.
- Scott Temple, William Talmadge (Prof. Shanti Deemyad) – Schaeffer, A. M. J., Talmadge, W. B., Temple, S. R. & Deemyad, S. 2012. High Pressure Melting of Lithium. Physical Review Letters 109, 185702.
- Luke Whitson, Kelan Albertson, Nathan Hickerson, Patrick Nichols, Bethany Larson (Prof. Jeff Bates) – Bates JS, Whitson LR, Albertson KM, Hickerson NS, Nichols PE, Larson BE, Sparks TD. 2015. Molecular Imprinted Hydrogels in Drug Delivery Applications. MRS Proceedings 1-6.
- Tyler Trueax (Prof. Mathieu Francoeur) – Edalatpour M, Trueax T, Francoeur M. 2015. Computational near-field radiative heat transfer: Convergence analysis of the thermal discrete dipole approximation using the exact solution for two spheres. ICHMT International Symposium on Advances in Computational Heat Transfer, Rutgers University, Piscataway, NJ.
- Hannah Durkee (Prof. Frank Brown) – Durkee H, Brown FH. 2014. Correlation of volcanic ash layers between the Early Pleistocene Acheulean sites of Isinya, Kariandusi, and Olorgesailie, Kenya. Journal of Archaeological Science 49, 510-517.
- Erica L. Armstrong (Prof. Craig Bryan) – Armstrong EL, Bryan CJ, Stephenson JA, Bryan AO, Morrow CE. 2014. Warzone stressor exposure, unit cohesion, and emotional distress among U.S. Air Force pararescuemen. Journal of Special Operations Medicine 26-34.
- Sydney Willis (Prof. Caren Frost) – Frost, CJ, Willis SK. 2014. Impact of the ACA on women’s reproductive health. Affordable Care Act Lecture Series, College of Social Work, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
- Tyler Cheney (Prof. Craig Bryan) – Cheney T, Bryan CJ, Bryan AO, Morrow CE, Stephenson, JA. 2014. Childhood familial closeness as a protective factor of PTSD in a military population. Rocky Mountain Psychological Association (Poster), Salt Lake City, UT.
- Amber Magbuhat (Prof. Craig Bryan) – Magbuhat AD, Bryan AO, Stephenson JA, Morrow CE, Bryan CJ. 2014. An exploration of caffeine use among U.S. Air Force pararescumen. Rocky Mountain Psychological Association (Poster), Salt Lake City, UT.
- Corey Miller (Prof. Rajasekaran N. Soorappan) – Miller CJ, Gounder SS, Kannan S, Goutam K, Muthusamy VR, Firpo MA, Symons JD, Paine R, Hoidal JR, Rajasekaran NS. 2012. Disruption of Nrf2/ARE signaling impairs antioxidant mechanisms and promotes cell degradation pathways in aged skeletal muscle. Biochem. Biophys. Acta- Molecular Basis of Disease 1822: 1038-1050.
- Kyle H. Sabey (Prof. Norman Hu) – Hu N, Sabey KH, Curtis HR, Hoang N, Dowdle SB, Garzarelli AA, Buswell HR, Dibella E, Yockman JW, Bull DA. 2012. Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) assessment of ventricular remodeling after myocardial infarction in rabbits. Comparative Medicine 62: 116-123.
- Kyle H. Sabey (Prof. Norman Hu) – Hu N, Straub CM, Garzarelli AA, Sabey KH, Yockman JW, Bull DA. 2010. Ligation of the left circumflex coronary artery with subsequent MRI and histopathology in rabbits. Journal of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science 49: 838-844.